Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Joseph Ades -- NYC's Most Successful Street Vendor Ever -- In Brooklyn Now

He's about 73, and is possibly the most successful street vendor ever in the history of New York City. Born in England but with a voice that recalls Australia, Joseph Ades is a living legend. He's been featured in the Daily News, Vanity Fair and other publications which he displays next to the little table where he sells vegetable peelers.

When McBrooklyn saw him on Court Street in Brooklyn Heights the other day, he was surrounded by a crowd of people who had suddenly realized they needed a peeler. Desperately. Not a cheap, soon-to-rust 99 cent peeler like those sold in stores, but the high quality $5 Swiss peeler available only from Mr. Ades. They flew out of his hands like they were the last peelers in the world.

Many have sought Mr. Ades but could not find him. So McBrooklyn shot the video below of this amazing salesman at work.




Video Copyright 2007, 2008, 2009 MK Metz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That guy's amazing. He reminds of this guy I saw in Munich who almost convinced me to buy some high-tech bowls, though he was speaking German and I don't understand a lick of it. Awesome video.

Anonymous said...

When I first came to New York years ago, I bought some amazing scrubby stuff from him. I NEVER buy anything from street vendors but ... if I saw him again I'd buy a peeler, too. He's good.